Skip to main content

Ricoh GR and Motion Blur photography By Simon Painter


I’ve had the Ricoh GR for 6 months now and I’m just loving it. It seems to make so much sense, the menu system, ergonomics and picture quality turn it into what a camera should surely be and that’s just an extension of the user.
Before buying it I had my reservations. The size, the lack of tilting screen and viewfinder, and fixed focal length and whether the fiddly looking controls would become annoying in use.
The size is great, they have managed to make it feel comfortable and controllable in the hand. The controls are at your fingers and once you get familiar with them adjustments are quick and accurate. The memory settings save pretty much every setting so are great for quickly going to your favourite setup as events unfold before you. This is no toy point and shoot, you have total control to fine tune your exposure. The camera’s light but still feels solid and the rubberized grip makes it feel secure. The screen is really good and is visible from a wide-angle. There have been times when I have had to “use the force” but somehow it’s fairly easy to point it where you want it! When I bought the GR I also got the GV-1 viewfinder. This does provide a nice bright view but I haven’t used it very much. The main reason for this is probably that as I wanted a compact size camera to take everywhere adding the viewfinder kind of defeats the grab and go feel of it. Also, I know I’m in the minority here but, I’ve never had a digital camera with an optical viewfinder as my Sony A55 has an evf. I thought this was great as whatever adjustments I made to exposure settings were reflected in what I saw in the viewfinder image. I’ve been merrily fiddling away with shutter speed, aperture and iso and thinking why are there so many books on how to master exposure settings. It wasn’t until I looked through my GV-1 that I suddenly didn’t know what I was doing. Apart from obviously setting an aperture appropriate for the required depth of field and a shutter that was quick enough to either freeze or blur images I never really took any notice of exactly what the settings were. I am definitely not someone who walks up and has already got the camera set on the ideal settings just by looking at the scene. Anyway the upshot of all that is that I don’t miss the viewfinder as the screen gives me all the info I need and the optical viewfinder just gives me an approximate view of my prospective image and no exposure info……Anyone want to buy a GV-1?
Source (http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RICOH GR MONOCHROME ....

Ricoh has a new patent (2016-201400) field in Japan for a Bayer sensor without a colour filter array (CFA) which should create sharper monochrome images. If dreams could come true a Ricoh GR Monochrome (ala Leica) would be an absolute corker.
We are all holding our breath for the Next incarnation of the Cult Ricoh GR APSC Camera. A 'Ltd Edition Monochrome' camera would be fantastic indeed.  Finger, toes and balls crossed.
Source (http://pentaxrumors.com/)image(https://gr.ricoh-imaging.eu/)

Leica Q vs Ricoh GR

Quick comparison between the Leica Q & Ricoh GR .........Posted with Blogsy

VSCO FILM® 07 & Ricoh GR

Nice indeed, I'm really enjoying this pack. There is enough variety here that makes it worth the purchase, especially with the launch discount and stackable loyalty discount if you've purchased any one of their film packs before. Even still, VSCO packs are never cheap, and if you're wanting to get a good idea of the power of these presets and how easy they are to use, the new VSCO Film 00is aFREEstarter pack from VSCO - It has both Kodak Tri-Xand Kodak Gold 100. Back in the day, thats almost all one would need, so give it a crack - it's got more than just two presets, with all the variants you would expect (Kodak Tri-X 400 ++ anyone? :p )

VSCO Film 07 is available from the VSCO website,