Skip to main content

Recommended Street Photography Equipment by Eric Kim



One of the questions I get asked most is what camera I recommend for street photography.
Like I mentioned, there is no perfect camera for street photography and everyone’s tastes are different. However my favorite digital camera for street photography is:

#1: Ricoh GR

1x1.trans Recommended Street Photography Equipment
Disclaimer: Ricoh gave me a GR for free to keep. I am not getting paid to include the camera here.
At the moment, my favorite digital camera for street photography is the new Ricoh GR. I think the biggest problem most street photographers have is that they never have their camera with them. The great thing about the Ricoh GR is that you always have it in your pocket, the image quality is amazing (it has an APS-C sensor), and it is small and unobtrusive. The awesome “snap focus” mode also allows you to pre-focus your distance, and take photos of “the decisive moment” without any lag.
You can see read my in-depth review of the Ricoh GR.

Film camera recommendation for street photography

#1: Leica M6 and 35mm f/2.5 Voightlander lens

1x1.trans Recommended Street Photography Equipment
I have a lot of people asking me for recommendations for film cameras for street photography. I have been using my Contax T3 a lot recently (love the compact size, image quality, and auto settings) but I still would choose my film Leica at the end of the day. Why? Film Leicas are indestructible, reliable, and can operate without a battery.
The Leica M6 is definitely the best bang-for-the-buck film Leica you can get. It is has a meter, all the frame lines you need, and is quite compact and light. I loved my first Leica M6 (thanks to Todd Hatakeyama for giving it to me as a gift) but I ended up upgrading to the Leica MP after I sold my M9. The MP and the M6 are pretty much the same camera, except the MP is newer and thus more reliable (which helps when I travel).
Source (http://erickimphotography.com/)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leica Q vs Ricoh GR

Quick comparison between the Leica Q & Ricoh GR .........Posted with Blogsy

RICOH GR MONOCHROME ....

Ricoh has a new patent (2016-201400) field in Japan for a Bayer sensor without a colour filter array (CFA) which should create sharper monochrome images. If dreams could come true a Ricoh GR Monochrome (ala Leica) would be an absolute corker.
We are all holding our breath for the Next incarnation of the Cult Ricoh GR APSC Camera. A 'Ltd Edition Monochrome' camera would be fantastic indeed.  Finger, toes and balls crossed.
Source (http://pentaxrumors.com/)image(https://gr.ricoh-imaging.eu/)

VSCO FILM® 07 & Ricoh GR

Nice indeed, I'm really enjoying this pack. There is enough variety here that makes it worth the purchase, especially with the launch discount and stackable loyalty discount if you've purchased any one of their film packs before. Even still, VSCO packs are never cheap, and if you're wanting to get a good idea of the power of these presets and how easy they are to use, the new VSCO Film 00is aFREEstarter pack from VSCO - It has both Kodak Tri-Xand Kodak Gold 100. Back in the day, thats almost all one would need, so give it a crack - it's got more than just two presets, with all the variants you would expect (Kodak Tri-X 400 ++ anyone? :p )

VSCO Film 07 is available from the VSCO website,