Skip to main content

Early Post Processing B&W

I must start by saying this was a post I created some time ago which never got published. I have changed my methods from this time but thought it would be worth publishing now anyway.

People keep asking me about my post processing methods. It really is very simple, I hoinestly take no loner than 3-4 minutes from start to finish.

Lightroom CC
Highlight & Shadows



  • I usually take the 'RAW' files into Lightroom, if there is any clipping I adjust the shadows and highlights, then strait into Photoshop CC. I know many people just do much of their work-flow here, It is something I really would like to adopt in the future. I just really need to put some time aside and get my head around what appears to be a very simple & intuitive piece of software.

  • While in Photoshop CC, I apply a Guy Gowen 'Process Action', it does a quick job of cleaning everything up and simple giving the files some needed 'POP'. I do find I neeed then to use his 'Digital Reflector Action' as the shadows seem to get a bit crunched for my liking. Finally I flatten the image before proceeding
Silver Efex Pro 2

  • Silver efex Pro 2 is my Film filter of choice 85% of the tme. I quickly run through the provided prestes, grab one as a staring point then apply some changes with the tools provided. Selective 'dodge & burn' adjust contrast, structure that kinda stuff.

  • If I am happy I always use the loop and the Zone Guide to make certain I have not blown out my highlights.


  • Photoscape to resize,Border, sharpen and  save as a jpeg ready for the blog.

A very newb not productive work-flow, it works for me. Morgan and Tyler cringe when they see me botch my way through post processing. The end results are fine for the blog, and so far I have not had the need to change my 'by my pants method'.

So there you have it. I should do a quick video from start to finish ...see what I can do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RICOH GR MONOCHROME ....

Ricoh has a new patent (2016-201400) field in Japan for a Bayer sensor without a colour filter array (CFA) which should create sharper monochrome images. If dreams could come true a Ricoh GR Monochrome (ala Leica) would be an absolute corker.
We are all holding our breath for the Next incarnation of the Cult Ricoh GR APSC Camera. A 'Ltd Edition Monochrome' camera would be fantastic indeed.  Finger, toes and balls crossed.
Source (http://pentaxrumors.com/)image(https://gr.ricoh-imaging.eu/)

Leica Q vs Ricoh GR

Quick comparison between the Leica Q & Ricoh GR .........Posted with Blogsy

VSCO FILM® 07 & Ricoh GR

Nice indeed, I'm really enjoying this pack. There is enough variety here that makes it worth the purchase, especially with the launch discount and stackable loyalty discount if you've purchased any one of their film packs before. Even still, VSCO packs are never cheap, and if you're wanting to get a good idea of the power of these presets and how easy they are to use, the new VSCO Film 00is aFREEstarter pack from VSCO - It has both Kodak Tri-Xand Kodak Gold 100. Back in the day, thats almost all one would need, so give it a crack - it's got more than just two presets, with all the variants you would expect (Kodak Tri-X 400 ++ anyone? :p )

VSCO Film 07 is available from the VSCO website,